Saturday 6 October 2018

Online Learning Communities

There are many advantages to online learning and to online teaching. As an online student, I have the flexibility to engage in learning whenever and wherever I want. I have had the opportunity to learn together with people from across the globe in a range of contexts - private schools, international schools, small rural schools in Northern communities and schools in large urban centres. I have been able to learn from some of the top experts in the field from around the world.

But the sense of community and connection in online classes varies, and I've experienced this both in online classes that I've taught and online classes where I participated as a student.

Recently, I completed two long-term online classes as a student - a three year online doctoral program from Western University and the Self-Regulation Facilitators course from The MEHRIT Centre which took about 18 months. In both classes, a range of strategies helped us to build community and connections, even though we never met in person.

At the #BIT2018 conference in Niagara Falls this November, I am facilitating a Learning Spaces conversation around the topic of Building Community in Online Classrooms. I'm looking for ideas from both the perspective of the teacher and the participants about How do you build a sense of community in an online classroom?

Some strategies from my own experience:

1. Small group size. At Western, our cohort of 13 students remained together during the entire three years so it was easy to get to know one another.  At the MEHRIT Centre, when I teach the Foundations Courses, I typically have an average of 15 students. Even though the courses are only 6 weeks long, I still have time to get to know each student.

2. Online video classes. In addition to our online discussion boards, readings and assignments, our courses at Western included several video conferences each semester using Blackboard Collaborate.  Timing these was problematic, as we had students in China, Qatar, Tanzania, Alberta, and Mexico.  If the video conference was at 8 pm, then it was 3 am for the student in Tanzania and 8 am in China. But these video conferences allowed us to chat with our instructors and one another in small groups.

3. Group Work.  When I saw that we were required to do some group assignments in our courses at Western, I was hesitant.  But the group work assignments were really helpful. Even though we had to deal with time differences and technology challenges, we got to know one another.  One of our assignments was to read a section of each person's major paper, and give them feedback. My partner and I had two Skype meetings; we spent more time talking about the program and the course assignments in general than giving feedback, but that it was good to be able to have that conversation. However, not all group work assignments build community. One of our group assignments for Western had us working in a group of 7.  There were 6 questions so each of us took one question, and posted our answer on a google doc.  The last person to pick was assigned the task of editing for clarity and continuity, and then presenting our group's work to the class.  I didn't really get to know anyone in my group during that assignment.

4. Social Media. Both the Western EdD group and the MEHRIT Centre facilitators group have a Facebook page. Not everyone has joined, but those who have are able to connect informally on Facebook to share resources, ask questions and stay in touch. I also follow online colleagues on Twitter and Instagram, and share ideas there as well.

What other strategies for building an online community have you experienced, either as a student or as an instructor?

How do we build a collaborative learning community in an online environment?

Please share your ideas!  


Update:
Doug Peterson and Stephen Hurley had a very interesting conversation about this blog post on This Week In Ontario Edublogs, which you can listen to at the archives on VoicEd.ca


Their conversation prompted me to think more deeply and write another blog post on this topic.


10 comments:

  1. From Facebook page: Grade 3 teachers (Ontario)
    Allison Kenny Can you qualify what "small class size" means? I've taken many online courses. I personally felt the best conversation and learning community happened when the class size was 20-30 people. Less than that the conversation dwindles.

    Lisa Cranston That's a really good question. I prefer a class size of 15-20, both as a teacher and as a participant. As a teacher, if there are more than 20 participants, then I feel like I don't have time to respond as thoughtfully as I'd like to each post and to provide really thorough feedback. As a participant, if there are more than 20 people posting to a discussion board, I don't have time to read and reflect on each post. I find that there are usually a few people whose posts really resonate with me, and I read and respond to them. Other people's post, I may or may not read, depending on how crunched I am for time.

    Lisa Cranston
    I agree with you though - if the class is too small it can be really hard to sustain discussions. Especially if you have a number of people who tend to post at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassidy Deleplanque When I did my masters through UOIT, our courses were all scheduled for the same time each week and we used adobe connect video conferencing. It had a feel of an in-person course as the majority of communications were synchronous. We often used“break out sessions” and video conferencing within smaller groups and then Returned to the main room to share our ideas with people from the other groups. As most of our classes were under 20 students, a few Instructors would begin each class with a 5- 10 minute time slot where students would share meaningful pictures or something eventful that happened that week. It was a great way for us to get to know each other. For asynchronous communications and partner work, I found google suite tools were a great way to communicate with other students and have the sense of real team work - we could look back at changes made from others, and share comments and feedback. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions- I hope this helps .

    Lisa Cranston Our courses at Western were asynchronous. Some had three or four video conferences and others had almost none. Because we had participants from across the globe, the time differences made it a bit challenging for the people who were logging on to the conference at 3 am, but I liked our small group discussions. I love the idea of a 'sharing time' just prior to class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison Kenny Can you qualify what "small class size" means? I've taken many online courses. I personally felt the best conversation and learning community happened when the class size was 20-30 people. Less than that the conversation dwindles.

    Lisa Cranston That's a really good question. I prefer a class size of 15-20, both as a teacher and as a participant. As a teacher, if there are more than 20 participants, then I feel like I don't have time to respond as thoughtfully as I'd like to each post and to provide really thorough feedback. As a participant, if there are more than 20 people posting to a discussion board, I don't have time to read and reflect on each post. I find that there are usually a few people whose posts really resonate with me, and I read and respond to them. Other people's post, I may or may not read, depending on how crunched I am for time.

    Lisa Cranston I agree with you though - if the class is too small it can be really hard to sustain discussions. Especially if you have a number of people who tend to post at the last minute.

    Allison Kenny Lisa Cranston the last course I took had 12 participants. Many last minute posters and I felt the conversation was lacking. I didn't learn much.

    Lisa Cranston I tend to post early. Then I have to keep going back to see if anyone else has posted so I can post the required responses. One of the courses my daughter took online had required word counts for responses. I've never had that. As a teacher, I give an outline of what is expected in a response - an extension, sharing a resource, asking a question. Not just: Great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. IKEA Rishon Lezion Opening Hours

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. Home Garden & Kitchen Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  7. At Get an Online Education, we track all of the recent developments in e-learning, distance learning, professional certificate programs, and other training/learning modalities. We find some of the best resources available to help you learn a new skill – whether it’s ramping up on your tech skills to break into the IT industry or learning a new language on your own.distance learning

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to chat your blog, I seem to be forward to more reliable articles and I think we all wish to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. Training Courses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very awesome!!! When I seek for this I found this website at the top of all blogs in search engine. 현금바둑이

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post. 香港婚姻介紹所

    ReplyDelete