Friday 12 October 2018

Community or Cohort?

In an earlier blog post, I wrote about strategies used by instructors and participants to build community in online classrooms.  Last week, Doug Peterson and Stephen Hurley discussed this post as part of their program, This Week In Ontario Edublogs.

Their discussion was quite profound; they explored issues and ideas I hadn't considered at all and dug deep into the meaning of 'community.'  Their conversation prompted me to think more about this topic, particularly the difference between a cohort and a community.

Stephen talked about the Latin root word 'munity' in community, which is also found in immunity.  He said it means making something stronger.  'So being part of a community should make us stronger, or make our learning stronger. I researched this idea further and found this etymology of the word community:

The word community is derived from from the Latin communitas, fellowship, which, in turn, is derived from communis, or "common". 

The prefix "com" signifies "with, together, in conjunction, joint". Removing the "com" from the latin, leaves you with munis, which derives from munire, meaning "to fortify, strengthen, or defend".
AKA: Strength in numbers. 

When we talk about a learning community, then we are saying that we are learning together, with one another and this strengthens or learning.  Doug likened it to the idiom, "A rising tide lifts all boats." Usually this is in reference to the economy - a strong economy benefits individuals and businesses at all levels.  But in this context, can we say that building an online community then strengthens the learning of all participants?

These three examples from my own experience to help to explain my current thinking on building an online community versus a cohort.

The MEHRIT Centre - I recently finished an 18 month series of online courses to become a Self-Regulation Facilitator with The MEHRIT Centre. There are several reasons I would characterize this group as a learning community. We were together for a long period of time, which allowed us to get to know one another, building trusting relationships and sharing our learning.  But what really brought us together as a community is our shared passion for self-regulation and our beliefs about how important self-reg is for children and adults. Through a Facebook group, we continue to learn and share with one another long after the courses have been completed.

Western University EdD Program - I also recently completed my doctorate online through Western University, which is where I did my B.Ed (in person) so many years ago. The participants in this group also became a close community, and even though we have finished our studies, we stay in touch through social media.  In this group, we got to know one another through small group assignments using Skype, Blackboard Collaborate and Google Docs as well as through online discussions. We used our Facebook group to support one another when the going got tough - when the assignment requirements seemed too much, or when the feedback was too harsh or inconsistent. When someone was feeling stressed and ready to throw in the towel, the Facebook group was there for support and encouragement. At the end of the course, several people posted that they had considered quitting but the group helped them make it to the finish line. We were definitely stronger together.

Intermediate ABQ - I have participated in online AQ and ABQ courses, both as a participant and as an instructor. As a consultant, my position at our school board was posted every four years and I had to reapply and re-interview for my job. The first time I had to reapply, my superintendent suggested that I take my Intermediate ABQ so that I would be eligible to take the Principal's Course. I did not have any intention of becoming a principal, and if I returned to the classroom, I certainly did not want to teach intermediate.  I was the Teacher Consultant for Kindergarten and Primary Programs, and that was my passion. Nevertheless, I signed up for an Intermediate ABQ in Family Studies. I completed the course, but as Stephen said, it was just about getting the work done and finishing the course.  I had no passion for this topic, and no shared interest to sustain with other participants once the course was finished.

In this instance, I was part of the Intermediate Family Studies ABQ Cohort but not part of a learning community. It is possible that there were others in the course who were passionate, who may have formed a community that continued on beyond the course. Perhaps communities and cohorts can co-exist within the same group of participants.

Thanks for pushing my thinking on this topic, Doug and Stephen.  I can't wait to discuss this with others at #BIT2018 this November in Niagara Falls.  See you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment