Monday 31 December 2018

One Word Challenge 2019


The One Word Challenge is based on a book by motivational expert Jon Gordon called One Word That Will Change Your Life.    The premise of the book is that most people give up on their New Year's Resolutions by the end of January.  By focusing on just one word and remembering WHY you chose that word, you are more likely to stick to your resolution.  Here's a brief video of Jon Gordon explaining the idea behind One Word That Will Change Everything.

In 2017, my One Word was Stretch and, as I wrote in my year end reflection, I thought I did a great job of stretching out of my comfort zone both personally and professionally, For 2018, my word was 'well-being.'  In one of my first blog posts of 2018 I wrote: This year, with each choice I make both personally and professionally, I intend to reflect on whether this choice will contribute to my physical and mental well-being.

As a retiree, there is no reason not to get to the gym or outside for some exercise on a regular basis. When I choose to stay home and lounge on the couch, I need to make sure that I am making a mindful choice. Is this relaxation what I need right now for my well-being or would my well-being be better served by getting up and getting some exercise?

I have to be honest - earlier this week when I looked back at last year's one word challenge I had totally forgotten what my word was for 2018.  And I can't say that I have done a much better job of putting my well-being front and centre in 2018 than I did in 2017.  I'm afraid I didn't have much more luck with One Word than I did with my New Year's resolutions in years past.

So for 2019 I am going to keep my one word from 2018, and vow to do a better job of remembering that my well-being - physical, mental, emotional, social - is my goal for the year.  I intend to post reminders in my bullet journal and to look for other ways to remind myself throughout the year.

  • Do you make New Year's Resolutions?
  • Do you participate in the One Word Challenge?
  • What strategies do you use to 'stick to it' with your goal?
  • Have you ever realized that you completely forgot your goal (like I did?)

This poster is going on my bulletin board, where I will see it every day.
My plan is to find a new inspiration well-being quote to post each month as one strategy
to remember my commitment to my own well-being. 




2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I love how your reflection had you keeping the same goal for another year. Incorporating my one word into blog posts throughout the year, really helps me keep focused on it. I also try to pick a word that I can’t avoid, so that I continue to think about my growth in this area. I think that my “play” word for this year will help with that. Good luck with your one word goal! I’m excited to hear about how things go.

    Happy New Year!
    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aviva. I like the idea of incorporating the word into my blog posts to help keep it front and centre in my mind. I'm going to try posting inspirational quotes in places where I'll see them everyday like my bedroom mirror and on the calendar on our fridge.

      Delete